Education: B.Sc., Physics, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey (1986); M. Sc., University of Ege, Izmir, Turkey (1989); Ph.D., Sussex University, Brighton, UK (1995).
Nurdogan Can was born in Izmir, Turkey. He was graduated from Ege University (Izmir-Turkey) with a B. S. degree in 1986. He completed his M Sc. thesis in the same University in 1989. He obtained the Ph. D degree from Sussex University, UK via a scholarship from Higher Education Council of Turkey. He was student of a world famous researcher, Prof. P. D. Townsend, in the field with whom he carried out very interesting research and published the results of his research in journals with high reputation.
After his return to Turkey, he started to work at Celal Bayar University (CBU)-Manisa and contributed to the establishment of the Physics Department. He served to the university by many administrative duties. He was the chairman of the Physics Department of between the years 2000 and 2012. In addition, between 1999 and 2002 he was the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, in the same period he was the Vice Director of the Graduate School of Sciences.
His publication record is also extraordinary: he was the author/coauthor of 70 publications appeared in journals with high reputation in the field. In addition, he contributed international and national conferences and encouraged his students to do so. He was the author/co-author of 40 presentations/posters in international scientific meetings; this number is 9 in national meetings. Up to his retirement, he supervised 8 Ph D and 17 M Sc theses during his working period in CBU-Manisa. Some of his students are now working as academicians in several universities.
He directed or, participated as a researcher, many international/national projects funded by several bodies. One of the projects -still running- was a high budget (9 million USD) project supported by State Planning Organization, aiming to establish a central research laboratory that will serve to the whole university. Nurdogan Can was a Professor of Physics and the Founder and the Principal Investigator of the Luminescence Research Laboratory at Celal Bayar University, where he is actively continuing his research on the exploring many aspects of the electronic energy level structure of rare-earth-activated optical materials.
- Yuksel Karabulut, Mehmet Ayvacikli, Adil Canimoglu, Javier Garcia Guineac and Nurdogan Cana;Studies on luminescence from a cerium-doped strontium stannate phosphor; Luminescence. August (2014) pp 1522-7243.
- M. Ayvacikli, A. Canimoglu, Y. Karabulut, Z. Kotan, L.K.S. Herval, M.P.F. de Godoy, Y. Galvao Gobato, M. Henini, N. Can. Radioluminescence and photoluminescence characterization of Eu and Tb doped barium stannate phosphor ceramics, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 590 (47-423) 2014.
- Z. Kotan, M. Ayvacikli, Y. Karabulut, J. Garcia-Guinea, L. Tormo, A. Canimoglu, T. Karali and N. Can. Solid state synthesis, characterization and optical properties of Tb doped SrSnO3 phosphor, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 581 (2013) 101-108.
- M. Ayvacikli, Z. Kotan, E. Ekdal, Y. Karabulut, A. Canimoglu, J. Garcia Guinea, A. Khatab, M. Henini, and N. Can. Solid state synthesis of SrAl2O4:Mn2+ co-doped with Nd3+ phosphor and its optical properties, Journal of Luminescence, 144 (2013) 128-132.
- Ayvacikli, M., Khatab, A., Ege, A., Sabikoglu, I., Henini, M., Can. N. Absorption and photoluminescence spectroscopy of Er3+-doped SrAl 2O4 ceramic phosphors, Philosophical Magazine Letters. 92 (4), 2012,194-201.
- Ayvacikli, M., Ege, A., Ekdal, E., Popovici, E.-J., Can. N. Radioluminescence study of rare earth doped some yttrium based phosphors, Optical Materials. 34(11), 2012, 1958-1961.